April 18, 2023
5 ways to treat Mum for Mother’s Day in Elsternwick Village (plus a gift guide)
For as long as we can remember, our mums have been our teachers, our source of comfort and encouragement, our best friends, our calm harbour in the storm.
Expressing to Mum exactly how much we love and appreciate her on Mother’s Day can seem an impossible task. Happily, Elsternwick Village is home to some brilliant gift ideas and experiences guaranteed to come close.
Here’s some ideas for creating a Mother’s Day to remember in Elsternwick Village.
1. Meet for brunch
Maybe Mum has a sweet tooth and loves a pancake stack, dripping in syrup and sweet fruits; perhaps she’s a traditionalist, preferring her breakfast with bacon, eggs and smashed avo; or maybe Mum believes the best brunches are the ones with that secret ingredient – the excitement of new dishes!
Whatever your mum’s brunch preference, there’s a cafe in Elsternwick Village that ticks all the boxes.
Damm Good Cafe serves up all the classics – cakes, sandwiches, coffee – but is best known for its amazing quality and fresh produce.
Goat House Cafe Bar Restaurant has a wine and beer list to elevate brunch, which when served on the deck is a most pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
For something special, try Moon 88, where every plate is a work of art; Mothers Instinct Eatery, which puts the gourmet into brunch; or Terracotta, which serves up colourful, healthy bowls of goodness.
2. See a film at Classic Cinemas
She’s seen a few films in her lifetime and probably visited many cinemas – but Mum has never experienced the true silver screen experience until she’s seen a film at the majestic Classic Cinemas.
Let Mum choose the flick, and shout her the fancy nibblies on offer, while she settles into the plush surrounds of the gorgeous historic buildings, contemplating all the mothers who have come before and shared a movie with their children.
3. Afternoon tea
There’s something a little bit special about taking Mum out for a fancy Mother’s Day afternoon tea – and some of the best afternoon teas can be found in Elsternwick Village.
If you’re recreating a fancy Mother’s Day afternoon tea at home, pick up a range of savoury nibbles and sweet treats from and Aviv Cakes and Bagels. Or head to Glazed Gluten Free Patisserie for an abundance of decedent sweet treats, minus the gluten, dairy and nuts – making it perfect for those with dietary requirements.
4. Pamper Mum
Mums are notorious for putting the happiness and care of others above their own, so this Mother’s Day why not turn the tables and purchase a pampering treatment for her.
Everyone loves a pedicure or manicure, but this Mother’s Day, make it a little more special by indulging Mum with nail art or a special hand and nail treatment at Jade Nail Salon, JA Nails or Sapphire Nails.
5. Enjoy a unique experience
Memories of time spent with you are the most priceless of Mother’s Day gifts and there are some wonderful and unique experiences to share in Elsternwick Village.
Does Mum have an inner artist just waiting to be set free? Share a pottery class at Ceramiques and enjoy hours of fun, laughter, and creativity.
If paint and canvas are more your mum’s thing, check out Elsternwick Village’s sip and paint studio, UpVibes. She’ll learn painting techniques from actual artists and then get to work on her own art, enjoying food and wine between brushstrokes.
There’s something for the fitness or wellness mum too, like hot yoga classes at Yoga Tree.
If Mum’s artistic flair is creating fashion statements or stunningly individual interiors, hit Elsternwick Village’s op shop trail. Elsternwick Village’s op shops, each with their own vibe and variety of goods, are conveniently located all in the one precinct, so you can start at one end and make your way through all of them!
Mother’s Day gift guide
Choosing a gift can be the trickiest part of Mother’s Day – so we’ve done the legwork for you. Here are our best picks from Elsternwick Village:
- A book for the bookworm mums: Books are a staple Mother’s Day gift and with good reason. They offer hours of enjoyment, and whether Mum is into mushy romance novels, hard-hitting political biographies, or wants to devour a new release, you’ll be able to find the perfect read for her at Avenue Bookstore.
- Flowers or plants: No matter what you get Mum this Mother’s Day, it needs to come with flowers – what better way to say that if she was a flower, you’d pick her? Shady Hill Luxury Flowers have you covered. If you want flowers that last more than a week, why not pick up a flowering plant from Crabtree & Weeks or Green Envy?
- Something for the home: Feathering the nest is what many mothers do the best, which is why gorgeous homewares make an ideal Mother’s Day gift. Select from a huge range of table and serving-ware, as well as kitchen essential and artistic centre pieces at Mercantile Home or Dalgarno’s of Elsternwick, or spoil her with luxury linens or napery from Linen House.
- Special and unique gifts: Go that extra mile and give Mum a gift as original as she is. Check out Ruby’s Gifts for a range of uniquely individual homewares, jewellery, handbags, and fashion accessories, including African, Judaica and Australiana products. Or pamper Mum with a surprise from Tonic, known for its deliciously scented goats milk soaps, as well as heat pillows, eye pillows, and stylish cosmetic bags.
- Jewellery: For a gift that will be treasured forever, select a special item of jewellery – an antique brooch or perfect pearl – from one of Elsternwick Village’s quality jewellers.
However you choose to spend Mother’s Day in Elsternwick Village, you can be sure that you’ll be giving Mum the one present she really hopes for: time spent enjoying the day with you.