August 22, 2017
Fun ways to spend Father’s Day 2017 in Elsternwick Village (plus a gift guide)
EVENT ENDED: This article is for a past event.
Father’s Day has always been about creativity.
There was a time when a wonky clay mug with a dangerously unstable handle would have Dad beaming for joy; when paint smeared across a giant piece of butcher’s paper would produce a smile from ear to ear; even that World’s Best Dad pen was treasured simply because it was purchased by you with money left by the tooth fairy.
But the sad fact is, as you get older, creative ideas for Father’s Day are a little harder to muster.
It’s a big ask – how do you thank someone who has loved you, protected you and nurtured you your whole life? What could you possibly do to express your love for your dad?
Happily, the one thing that Dad really wants for Father’s Day is quality time with you – and lucky for you, Elsternwick Village is putting on a Father’s Day of experiences you and your dad will treasure forever.
Here are some fun ways you can spend Father’s Day in Elsternwick Village:
Treat Dad to brunch at a trendy cafe
In the mornings, Elsternwick Village comes to life with the sounds of laughter from locals and visitors grabbing brunch with friends and family.
The precinct offers a full range of brunch options, from traditional cooked breakfasts to healthy smoothies and colourful plates that are almost too pretty to eat.
To find a suitable place, check out this range of Elsternwick cafes that serve truly Instagram-worthy brunches.
Take in a movie
Elsternwick’s Classic Cinema is an historical icon where you and your dad can catch the latest blockbuster, foreign or art-house flick, in the grandeur and majesty of a truly old-world theatre. Also, parking is free, so you’ll have more money for popcorn.
Lose yourselves among the bookshelves
If Dad is a reader who loves the feel of a tome in his hand and pages between his fingers, he’ll enjoy a visit to Avenue Bookstore.
With old school bookstore charm but large enough to house new releases, popular titles as well as more quirky titles, allow enough time to fully appreciate the experience.
If there’s a title that Dad particularly likes, why not make it his Father’s Day gift?
Shout Dad a drink
Finish off a great day with Dad by sharing a drink at one of Elsternwick’s inviting and interesting bars.
Ranging from the opulent interiors of Antique Bar, to the French-inspired chic of Bang Bang at the Rifle Club, to the relaxed friendly vibe of Goat House Cafe Roastery, you can find a bar to suit your mood and your dad here.
Need more gift ideas?
Go beyond the standard socks and jocks present and treat your dad to something a little different this year.
Here are some gift ideas available from Elsternwick Village:
- Take Dad out for a meal at one of Elsternwick’s restaurants – there are plenty to choose from!
- If your dad is one with style, pick out a new belt or tie from Lionel Meerkin Menswear or a shirt or hat from Hattams Mens & Boyswear
- Is Dad a sporty guy? Find snow, surf and skate gear at Bumps, enquire about personal training sessions at For Fit Sake or Zap Fitness, or book a pilates class at Core Physio and Pilates
- After computer hardware and gadgets? Visit Centre Com. For games and puzzles, head to Child & Adult.
- For a fresh haircut or shave book Dad into a barber for the full treatment. See our full list of hair salons here
- For wine glasses, decanters, coffee cups and kitchen accessories, head to one of Elsternwick’s great homewares stores.